Fall

Monday, April 26, 2010

Women over 40

I broke down and had my hair done professionally. It has been about nine months sense I had it done (yes this is a confession). The grey is no longer grey it is white which stands out really well in contrast to my black hair. While getting my hair done, I was tested on speaking my truth. It is always interesting to see individuals reaction once I tell them what I do. It is a cross between confusion and disbelief. Both I can deal with, in all honest I believe I would have the same reaction. That is not what I wanted to talk about though, I wanted to talk about a woman who was in the chair across from me ranting and raving about a wide variety of things, the two that caught my attention where, her view on men and women over 40. Let me start with men, her car required a tune-up she took it to an to an ex-boyfriend (not to mention that she is in a relationship) who insisted that she not pay him. They compromised and she took him to dinner. During this dinner he kept telling her how bad he wanted her back and all the horrible things he did, he wouldn't do again if she would only come back to him, he is lost and miserable. She finally left him at the restaurant telling him to take a cab home. She went on to say how bad she felt for him, he is a nice guy but she is happy with whom she is with now. Which leads into her type of men. This is brief; he must have a job, be nice and have his own vehichle, (could be me but doesn't Ted Bundy fit this discription?) Any how she and the hairdresser bashed men for a bit, than went onto descripe that some of the men they had dated went for women who wore tight t-shirts and short jeans. That same woman made the comment "Women over forty look horrible, with their fake boobs, died hair and tight t-shirts. They should face the fact that they are older and move on." The lady doing my hair asked her how old she is, the women replied she was 31. Hence, the reason it is okay for her to have the "hot pink" stripes being put in her hair and she can wear the spaghetti strap tank top and short jeans. This woman went onto ragding about how her mom is in here 50's and trying to reclaim her youth. She is embarrassed that her mom is wearing these cloths, has stripes in her hair and is listening to "Teeny boober" music cranked up. That is not what a woman of her age should be doing. Hopping from club to club picking up guys is not healthy.
I listened to this for two hours. Those are the highlights, I am concerned though and not because I am approaching her cut off age to be youthful, but because she can not see her mom as a woman and that I do hope her mom has a longer list of qualifications for the guys she is picking up. A couple of weeks ago I write about we allow people to define who we are, now I am writing about how we maybe creating individuals into what we think they should be, so we won't have to be uncomfortable with the truth. I applaud her mom for what she is doing, I may not agree, but hey at least she isn't allowing her daughter to dictact to her what she should be. Look at Demi Moore, she's 50, but as my husband pointed out she is an acception to the rule. What I want to know is who made that rule. Okay I will quit rambling.
I Surrender & Trust
My guidance for today is Nature (unsure), Soul Mate, and Ideas & Inspiration (unsure)

No comments:

Post a Comment