Fall

Wednesday, April 28, 2010

Giving

What are you willing to give up? This is a question my instructors, mentors and professors continually ask. What are you willing to give up to gain what you want? In truth I think it all depends on what it is I want, I will gladly give up $25 for a great pair of shoes. Not so sure I would give up $50 though. When I was first asked this I thought it had to be something that was tangible, over the years I have learned tangible things are easier to give up than say old habits. For example I gave up sleeping in until 7:00 am every morning to develop better physical health. I had to develop "mind over mattress" which I am pretty sure you can understand. There are little things we will gladly give up to help someone out, such as I gave my old shoes to my mom so she can give them to "Shoes for Africa". I will give up time and money to help a cause I believe in. What lengths would you go to? I am completely humbled by what my friend has given up, I consider myself a generous person, I believe if asked to I would give up my life. However, my friend made a decision a year ago to donate a kidney and yesterday she did. She is perfectly healthy and wanted to give someone else the opportunity to be health also. She didn't do it because she knew the person, nor for the attention she may receive from doing so, she gave it up for her genuine desire to help others. She has had many individuals criticize her for doing this telling her "well now she will only have one good kidney, what happens if that one fails. " This is a risk she is willing to take. Is this something I would or could ever do? At this moment I would say no, who knows what tomorrow or the future brings I may change that answer. I have such complete admiration for her and commend her for the strength she had to follow through. Honestly, it makes my "mind over mattress" seem so small, but I know that it isn't an less difficult to follow through.
I Surrender & Trust
Today's guidance: Power (unsure), Surrender & release, New Beginnings

No comments:

Post a Comment