Fall

Monday, December 27, 2010

Spirit of Christmas

With it being Christmas and everyone in "the spirit", I can not help wonder what causes this. Most everyone I talk to complain about how commercialized it has become, having to buy so and so a gift and how they plan to have back-up gifts in case someone they hadn't planned on giving a gift to gives them one. When I ask the reason for this they all say one of two things "It is expected" or "Karma, if I don't give it will come back and get me". Both of these answers surprises me, as neither of them speak of what Christmas is about. I to for years bought into the having to give everyone a gift and it caused me stress and anxiety. When I didn't get what I wanted I was extremely disappointed. It was five years ago that I stopped. I don't give a gift unless I am inspired to do so, I receive each gift with appreciation as someone took the time to think of me. Even though most have begun to believe I don't practice Christmas. (I do, only not in the way that most do). The fact that they still give me a gift even though I may not practice it the way they do lets me know that they truly do care. So I ask you what is the "spirit " of Christmas & how do you access it? I hear people say they watch Christmas specials or listen to the Christmas music; others say it is through the children. For me this year it was when I began exercising; " I have been given much & I would like to share". I don't have to share, nor am I feeling it is expected. I am doing it because I desire to. This is the spirit that will carry me through until next year. If the giving comes from the heart with no strings, expectations or justifications than it is a true gift. The next step is the receiving of this gift and that is completely up to you. I hope you all had a very merry Christmas.

No comments:

Post a Comment