Fall

Tuesday, February 22, 2011

Greed

What is Greed? This is a conversation my husband and I have been having. He has been reading a book on "Greed" and from the books perspective it is an emotion we all have that tells us "You want more". If you want a better car, education, living condition, or more money you are "greedy". I can not help but take offense to this. How is it that wanting more for myself or my family makes me "greedy"? The author says it is a disease that we "Americans" suffer from. We are never satisfied, we are in constant pursuit of the "American Dream" rising from the scums to become a millionaire and the only way to accomplish this is through "greed". Again I take offense, most individuals that I know do not want to be millionaires, however they do want to live better and provide for themselves and their families. I honestly don't feel this is being "greedy". For me this is simply a "desire". What is the difference? Desire as I have stated before is a feeling that motivates you to achieve. I will acknowledge that Greed does the same thing. However, the motivating feeling itself is completely different. Greed is dark and heavy. Have you ever meet someone who was "Greedy"? I have, and they are only out for themselves; no one else. Even if they have friends or family. The only reason they are after anything is for themselves ( they don't share). They are egotistical, snappy, and quick to condemn. For me "Greed" is the dark side of "Desire". You may start off wanting more which can grow into a strong desire of doing and being more to achieve it. Desire feels exciting and new. It becomes "Greed" the minute you decide to sacrifice anyone and anything. You are willing to do harm, illegal, unethical and moral wrong to achieve it.

I will continue to disagree with the author and say I am not "greedy". I won't say that I haven't felt like being "greedy" on occasion, however I chose "desire" instead.

What are your thoughts, are you "greedy?"


Guidance: Manifestation, Spiritual Growth, Idea's & Inspiration

Surrender & Trust

1 comment:

  1. I agree with you. Greed is never satisfied. Greed doesn't recognize loved ones or feelings. Greed is selfish. Desire is to want to satisfy your loved ones needs/desires. Desire recognizes loved ones and is motivated to think of others unselfishly. Greed never sleeps and will stab you in the back while Desire will to what it can to make others happy. Thus saith Dr. Wells :)

    ReplyDelete